The Home Seller’s Playbook: Your Guide to Selling Success
When preparing your home for listing, it’s important to create a clean and inviting atmosphere that appeals to potential buyers. Here’s a pre-listing checklist for maximizing your space and showcasing your property in the best possible way:
Maximize Space and Create a Larger Look and Feel:
- Remove family pictures, personalized ornaments, and memorabilia.
- Put away animal food bowls, bedding, and toys.
Windows and Mirrors:
- All windows and mirrors to be free of streaks and smudges.
- Clean windows inside and out.
Lights, Lamps & Fans:
- Turn on all lights and lamps to brighten up the space.
- Replace any faulty lightbulbs.
- Keep fans turned off.
- Remove items that may give the perception of a smaller floor space in photos, such as trash cans, area rugs, floor mats, and door mats.
Clear Out Clutter
Lounge & Living Area:
- Remove TV remotes, books, video game equipment, DVDs, additional clutter, magazines, portable fans, and visible electrical cords.
- Use nice baskets for storage if needed
Bathroom & En Suite:
- Clear out laundry baskets, trash receptacles, soap dishes (unused), tissue boxes, bath mats, and miscellaneous products.
- NO toiletries or hair tools left out on counters, put everything in baskets under sink.
- Ensure the shower door is clean and free of streaks.
- Keep the toilet seat down & garbage can empty.
Towels and Taps:
- Place fresh, coordinated towels in the bathroom, nearly double-folded for the best presentation.
- Polish all taps and ensure no spots or water splashed.
Kitchen & Dining Areas:
- Put away dishes and hide small appliances.
- Clear countertops of clutter and tea towels.
- Hide visible childproof equipment & pet food bowls
- Clean all appliances and ensure they are free of streaks & grease.
- Replace the oven light if it’s burned out.
- Declutter and clean the refrigerator, removing magnets, kids’ drawings, fingerprints, and calendars. Add baking soda for freshness.
- Set the table with your best cutlery and add a center-piece like a candle or flowers.
- White plates are best for photos.
- Maximum 3 items on countertops.
Remember, less is more when it comes to creating a clean and spacious environment for potential buyers.
Declutter and Depersonalize:
- Remove personal items such as family photos, excessive decorations, and personal memorabilia.
- Clear nightstands of clutter and personal items.
- Keep the room as neutral and inviting as possible.
- Ensure the bed is neatly made with fresh and clean bedding.
- Use coordinating colors and consider adding decorative pillows or a throw blanket for an added touch. White, neutral or solid colors are best.
Create a Relaxing Ambiance:
- Open curtains or blinds to let in natural light.
- Arrange furniture in a way that maximizes space and flow.
- Remove extra furniture.
Clear Out Closets and Storage:
- Declutter closets and remove any unnecessary items. Pack 50% away.
- Organize and neatly arrange clothing and belongings.
- Keep floors and top of closet minimal.
Keep Surfaces Clean and Minimal:
- Remove excessive items from dressers, shelves, and other surfaces.
- Leave some empty space to give the impression of ample storage.
Highlight Unique Features:
If there are any unique features or architectural elements, make sure they are visible and well-presented.
- Ensure all light fixtures are in working order.
- Consider updating the lighting if needed.
- ensure all bulbs are matching (white or soft white)
- If necessary, consider professional staging to showcase the potential and create an appealing atmosphere.
Remember, the goal is to create a clean, clutter-free, and inviting space that allows potential buyers to envision themselves living in the bedroom. Good luck with your preparations!
- Thoroughly clean all surfaces, including countertops, sinks, faucets, shower/bathtub, toilet, and mirrors.
- Ensure there are no water stains or soap scum.
- Remove personal items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, and other toiletries.
- Leave only minimal, decorative items like a small vase or a scented candle.
Fresh Linens and Towels:
- Replace old or worn towels with fresh, matching towels.
- Fold the towels neatly and consider adding a decorative touch, such as a ribbon or a towel ring.
- Remove any personal items like shampoo bottles, loofahs, and soap.
- Keep the shower and bathtub clean and free from any mold or mildew.
Showcase Spa-Like Features:
- If applicable, highlight spa-like features such as a Jacuzzi tub, steam shower, or rainfall shower head.
- Consider adding a small stack of folded white towels or a bathrobe to evoke a luxurious feel.
- Use matching or complementary colors for towels, shower curtains, and other bathroom accessories. Plain white is always best.
- Place a small potted plant or fresh flowers on the countertop or near the sink to add a touch of nature and freshness.
- Ensure all light fixtures are clean and in working order.
- consider updating the lighting fixtures for a clean & modern look
- Keep the bathroom well-ventilated and clean.
- Avoid air fresheners, use scented candles with a pleasant, subtle fragrance.
Declutter Cabinets and Storage:
- Remove unnecessary items from cabinets, drawers, and shelves to create a sense of spaciousness and organization. 50% should be packed away.
Remember, the goal is to create a clean, spa-like atmosphere that allows potential buyers to envision themselves relaxing and enjoying the space. Pay attention to details and keep everything well-maintained.
Declutter and Organize:
- Remove any unnecessary items and clutter from the garage.
- Organize tools, equipment, and storage items neatly.
- Sweep and clean the garage floor.
- Remove any cobwebs or dust from walls and corners.
- Wipe down surfaces and shelves.
- Ensure that all light fixtures in the garage are functioning.
- If necessary, add additional lighting to brighten up the space.
- If you have built-in storage cabinets or shelves, ensure they are clean and well-organized.
- Highlight the storage capabilities of the garage to showcase its functionality.
- If possible, park vehicles neatly in the garage to demonstrate the available parking space.
- Clear the floor of any unnecessary items to create a sense of spaciousness.
- Ensure the exterior of your property is clean, well-maintained, and visually appealing.
- Trim hedges, mow the lawn, and remove any weeds or debris from the yard.
- Make the front entrance welcoming by cleaning the door, adding a fresh coat of paint if needed, and polishing hardware.
- Consider adding a potted plant or a decorative welcome mat.
- Arrange outdoor furniture, if applicable, in a way that highlights the potential for entertaining and relaxation.
- Add cushions or pillows to make the space inviting.
- Repair any visible damage or wear, such as loose siding, broken steps, or damaged gutters.
- Ensure windows are clean and in good condition. Paint trim, and wash inside and out.
- Install or ensure the proper functioning of outdoor lighting fixtures.
- Illuminate pathways and entryways to create a welcoming ambiance.
- Consider updating the light fixtures for a modern look.
- Trim shrubs, bushes, and trees to maintain a neat appearance.
- Plant flowers or add potted plants to enhance visual appeal.
Clean Windows and Screens:
- Wash windows and screens to give a fresh and well-maintained look. (inside and out)
Clear Driveway and Walkways:
- Remove any vehicles, toys, or clutter from the driveway and walkways.
- Ensure they are clean and free from any debris.
Remember, the garage and exterior of your property are the first things potential buyers will see. Creating a clean, organized, and visually appealing space will make a positive impression. Good luck with staging the garage and enhancing your property’s exterior!
I hope you will find these tips helpful. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, let’s set up a time to meet.
Best of luck with your staging and selling process!